Former US soldier who shot down Russian jet is back in the military

A former US Army sergeant who was in a Russian jet downed over Syria in March 2015 is back serving in the Army, according to Fox News.

Lt.

Col. Ryan Smith told the station his superiors had told him to rejoin the military after he left the Army.

The retired sergeant was an adviser to Gen. Joseph Dunford, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

Smith is currently serving in a position at Fort Bliss, Texas, the site of the US Army’s headquarters, Fox News reported.

The news outlet added that Smith is not currently a member of the American Red Cross, but was once in the Corps of Cadets.

Smith said he was also a member “of the US Marine Corps and was a member for years, serving with the 101st Airborne Division.

He retired from the Army in 2013, and he had been a Marine reserve officer for about four years.

He served in the National Guard, then in the US Navy, but never deployed.”

The Army announced Monday that Smith would not be returning to active duty.

In December 2016, Smith was found guilty of violating a court order that prohibited him from doing any work with the Syrian National Coalition, a coalition of rebel groups fighting the Syrian government.

Smith was arrested and charged with a felony for attempting to provide material support to a foreign terrorist organization.

He was found not guilty by reason of insanity, the military said.

Smith had been on leave from the military for more than two years.